

Somehow saving money wins out in a lot of my life decisions. But sitting here in the Dublin airport at this ungodly hour is depressing. And its a bit frustrating figuring out how to sleep on top of your luggage so it doesn't get stolen. Anyhow, my time in Ireland has nearly come to a close and I am really sad to be leaving. I'll miss the family-feel of the pubs and the live uilleann pipers, the beauty and open space, the wonderful historical monuments that you can climb inside and around. These are some good memories, not the least of which is how the group got me to sing out loud on the bus, which is a feat for anyone who knows me. I feel like I've been here for weeks, in a good way. I was able to see a huge chunk of the country and would like to come back someday and do the rest.
As I've already said, the travel companions were different than I had pictured, and I felt kind of awkward sitting at dinner each night as they discussed topics like the stock market (yawn), golf (yawn again), and U.S. politics (asleep by now). I have few opinions in these areas, and kept my participation on the evasive side. But one of the Canadian couples in particular ended up being loads of fun to hang out with. After a week of lighthearted jokes about "stupid Americans," I finally asked Steve what I could do to earn the respect of a Canadian. He told me I had, and then removed the small Canadian flag pin he had worn on his jacket all week and handed it to me. I put it on my backpack next to another pin my sister gave me, commemorating my trip. They've invited me to come to Canada and stay with them whenever I want.

As I am short on time at an internet kiosk (yet again), I will leave you with this story, and will give a nice long post tomorrow when I get to France with pictures:
There are tons of crucifixes all over Ireland, with Jesus and three women gathered around him. But there is one in particular overlooking the wild Atlantic just past the town of Dingle, which stands in memory of those who lost their lives to the sea. At this particular sight was Jesus on the cross of course, one woman on his left, one on his right, and one crouched towards the ground with her arm outstretched. I figured one of them was Mary, Jesus' mother, but I wasn't sure who the others were.
"Dave," I said to our tour guide, "who are the three women with Jesus?"
"Well, one of them is Mary, the mother of Jesus. One of them is Mary Magdalene. And the third in the middle we aren't sure, so we call her 'Mary, looking for her contact lens.'"
I couldn't help but laugh as I hiked past it.
As I've already said, the travel companions were different than I had pictured, and I felt kind of awkward sitting at dinner each night as they discussed topics like the stock market (yawn), golf (yawn again), and U.S. politics (asleep by now). I have few opinions in these areas, and kept my participation on the evasive side. But one of the Canadian couples in particular ended up being loads of fun to hang out with. After a week of lighthearted jokes about "stupid Americans," I finally asked Steve what I could do to earn the respect of a Canadian. He told me I had, and then removed the small Canadian flag pin he had worn on his jacket all week and handed it to me. I put it on my backpack next to another pin my sister gave me, commemorating my trip. They've invited me to come to Canada and stay with them whenever I want.

As I am short on time at an internet kiosk (yet again), I will leave you with this story, and will give a nice long post tomorrow when I get to France with pictures:
There are tons of crucifixes all over Ireland, with Jesus and three women gathered around him. But there is one in particular overlooking the wild Atlantic just past the town of Dingle, which stands in memory of those who lost their lives to the sea. At this particular sight was Jesus on the cross of course, one woman on his left, one on his right, and one crouched towards the ground with her arm outstretched. I figured one of them was Mary, Jesus' mother, but I wasn't sure who the others were.
"Dave," I said to our tour guide, "who are the three women with Jesus?"
"Well, one of them is Mary, the mother of Jesus. One of them is Mary Magdalene. And the third in the middle we aren't sure, so we call her 'Mary, looking for her contact lens.'"
I couldn't help but laugh as I hiked past it.
1 comment:
I slept in the Dublin airport too!! And LAX and the Milan airport.... And when I say "sleep" I don't actually mean getting any sort of proper rest. :)
I'm so glad to hear that your trip has been going so well. Isn't Ireland gorgeous?! When you go back to explore the rest of the country can I come too??
Where are you off to next?
I love your blog. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful journey.
-Katie Friederich
Post a Comment